General Aviation (GA) flying requires a CAA medical certificate. To obtain an NZ PPL you are required to obtain a Class 2 medical or higher from a CAA approved aviation medical examiner (AME).  The standards are fairly stringent but there is room for flexibility.  Microlight flying requires a much less stringent medical examination, which can and should be  done by your own GP.

There is a list of doctors able to do CAA medical examinations on the CAA website. A list of CAA approved aviation medical examiners can be found here. If you live in or near Rotorua the Te Ngae Medical Centre has two AME – to book a medical give them a call on (07)345-6627.

Before booking a Class 1 or 2 medical examination make sure you have paid the medical certification application fee to the CAA, and have your receipt number handy when calling to book. The page to pay this fee can be found here.

 For Microlights, Rotorua Aeroclub is affiliated with Sport Aviation Corp and the Recreational Aircraft Association of New Zealand. and we encourage members to become members of either SAC or RAANZ.    The medical form can be down loaded from either the SAC or the RAANZ websites.

Come and Meet Like Minded People

We provide a relaxed and friendly atmosphere for recreational pilots to go out flying and socialise with other likeminded individuals. Our focus is on recreational aviation and getting people into flying.

Contact us